Monday, October 19, 2009

Something is seriously amiss..

Article abstract from: The Mail&Guardian newspaper
Headline: "DA warns against pardon for Shabir Shaik"

After nineteen years spent living in South Africa, I find that it takes a lot to shock and disturb me. Corruption and bribery have become just another part of everyday life in South Africa and like me, many other people have learned just to accept it. There was a rare moment of justice however, when Shabir Shaik was convicted for fraud and sent to prison. It was a small step towards justice, but it was a step none-the-less.

In the article I found in the Mail&Guardian, I read that Shabir Shaik had applied for a presidential pardon as long ago as April 2008. Over a year ago, a convicted fraudster applies for a presidential pardon, and for over a year the rejection letter that ought to have been sent back to him has been left unmailed. What is the ruling party waiting for? There should be no debate whatsoever as to what should be done. The small bit of me that still cares and still longs for justice stirred.. for just a moment.. and then subsided back into the depths of realisation that there is virtually nothing I can do to stop it. I have become too complacent to care and too accustomed to injustice in South Africa to bother to lift a finger. If I am the youth of South Africa today, what of the children of tomorrow?

(http://www.mg.co.za/article/2009-10-19-da-warns-against-pardon-for-schabir-shaik)

0 comments: