Wednesday, October 28, 2009

True Grit



Experiences and our choices of experiences are what make our lives , hence the cliche life is what you make it. As a spontaneous need for something to do last weekend a couple of mates and I took of to do a bit of rock climbing in Morgan's bay , something which I had never done assuming that it wouldn't bode well with my fear of heights. The first climb we got onto was called 'True Grit' and as the name implied it tested your desire to make it and not bail out. Looking up at the half a meter wide crack which was ominously looming above me I was tied on and heard the command from Dave "climb when ready." With a racing pulse and a mind wracked with thoughts of what might happen I stepped onto the climb and began by hoisting myself into the crack. Accompanied by many jokes I slowly wedged myself up the crack. The experience of exerting yourself purely due to the fact that adrenaline had overtaken was exhilarating allowing me to forget everything else in the world. The feeling of finally finishing the climb was one which was fleeting but truly amazing. The accomplishment , fear , adrenaline and physical exertion all bundled into one euphoric breath. As life experiences go , this one trumps all. It is these experiences that I seek and that make my life meaningful to me. So why waste your life when you could be doing something completely pointless.

0 comments: