Friday, October 30, 2009

The Life of a Rhodent is a Life for Me



Inside the Union Club, mixture of my Rhodes friends and Nalson Mandela Metropolitan University friends having a good time.




The bragging had gone on since the begging of the year: My high school friends, now students at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, bragging about how much better the partying is in PE compared to the partying done by the students of Rhodes University. In opposition to these outrageous assumptions I argued that if they came to Rhodes to party it up, they would be embarrassed because they would only then discover the true meaning of the word party.

So the bet was on. Two of my Grahamstown buddies and I packed our bags, loaded up my car, and headed off to PE to experience the party life of a Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University student. This was a task that we knew was going to take us out of our comfort zone, but had to be done to prove a point. During the first night we found ourselves being mocked and judged because we where Rhodes students in a PE world. Although the mocking was light and very sarcastic it made us feel tremendously out of place and looked down on. However, us being the true Rhodens we are, pushed this aside, and put on our partying shoes. First up was a club called the College. The people where grossly overdressed, the music was average, and the friendliness of the people, non-existent. We ended up going home at 12 and my mates from PE thought this was an absolute joll. Second night, we were faced with the same story. They thought this club, the Collage, was the most hectic place on earth.

My two Rhodent friends and I noticed the cliques of people that stuck together in the club. People were not open and friendly like in Grahamstown. The whole vibe and mentality of the people was also different. We noticed how many girls flaunted their high hill shoes and uncomfortable clothing all in the name of fashion. That’s when I realized that Rhodes is really laid back in comparison. We do not necessarily worry too much about what we wear as long as we have a good time. We also don’t worry as much about flaunting our valuables is order to gain status for what we own. The students of Rhodes just all mesh together and become equals in a vibe that is like no other.

Our stay in PE ended that Monday morning. A weekend was long enough in the city of PE and we were ready to head back to our beloved Grahamstown. Port Elizabeth is not a horrible place, but the vibe of Grahamstown is so much more welcoming. The people are friendly and laid back, the clubs all unique in their own ways, and to my surprise I learned we know how to handle our alcohol consumption; and are not afraid to experiment with the cheap stuff like Crackling.

Our turn was over; it was now time for my friends from Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University to pull their weight. When Inter-varsity time rolled around I gave my friends from PE a call. They came through and joined us Rhodents in one of the most legend parties known to student kind. They found themselves lying in, gutters, scoring random people, and much to my disgust puking on my kitchen floor.

When the discussion of whose University had the best parties came about, there was no argument. Rhodes had defiantly taken the trophy. My friends commented on the hospitality of the fellow Rhodent’s, the ability to make a party wherever they went, and of course the ability to hold the unnatural amount of alcohol and still function semi-normal. All in all, my uncomfortable experience in PE helped me realise that my university, Rhodes, has some of the best parties around, and for that I am proud.

0 comments: